Brief Chronology of the History of the Frampton Irish
Martial law is lifted in Ireland., the 1798 Irish Rebellion prisoners are released, including Miles Murphy. Miles Murphy is exiled from Ireland and emigrates from County Wexford with his family to Lower Canada. A few other County Wexford families emigrate to Lower Canada as well
The names of Miles Murphy and Peter Murphy appear next to each other on a list of persons making petition for land along the Craig Road in Lower Canada.
10 Jul 1806
Pierre Edouard Desbarats receives 1200 acres in land grants in Frampton Township.
Gilbert Henderson arrives in Lower Canada.
12 Jan 1809
The names of Andrew Murphy and Miles Murphy appear in the Quebec Gazette as having letters remaining at the Quebec City post office. This indicates that they were probably in communication with friends and relatives in County Wexford.
24 May 1809
First Protestant church record of a Frampton Irish progenitor. The marriage of Robert Wright to Mary Murphy (Miles Murphy's daughter) at St. Gabriel's Presbyterian Church in Montreal. However, their children are later baptized at Notre Dame de Quebec Catholic cathedral.
31 Aug 1811
A road to provide access from the Seigneurie of Ste. Marie to the Township of Frampton is drawn up.
10 Feb 1812
Patrick Murphy and Andrew Murphy's names appear on a list published in the Quebec Mercury newspaper of persons having letters remaining at the Quebec City post office. This indicates that they were probably in communication with friends and relatives in County Wexford.
18 Dec 1812
First land conveyance (lease) made for land in lots 4, 5, and 6 of range 3 in Frampton Township from Pierre Edouard Desbarats to James Whilong and Terrance Burns. Although no evidence was found that these persons ever settled in the township.
Frampton Township is opened to settlement.
15 Sep 1815
George Pyke and Pierre Edouard Desbarats agree to build a road from Frampton to the Seigneurie of Jolliet to Route Justienne past Concession St. Thomas and extend a road from Frampton to Cranbourne.
11 Nov 1815
Patrick Byrne of Little St. Charles River makes an initial lease/purchase agreement with Pierre Edouard Desbarats to take up land in Frampton Township before Notaire Charles Huot.
24 Jan 1816
Andrew Murphy and Robert Wright receive the first land concessions in Frampton Township from Pierre Edouard Desbarats before Notaire Jean Belanger.
14 Mar 1816
Patrick Byrne acknowledges his agreement with Pierre Edouard Desbarats to locate on lands in Frampton Township.
23 Jun 1816
First baptism for a resident of Frampton Township made at Ste. Marie. The child was Marie Louise Byrnes, daughter of Patrick Byrnes and Catherine Hastings. Andrew Murphy was the godfather.
27 Sep 1817
First burial of a Frampton resident occurs at Ste. Marie. The burial was Mary Mackay, wife of Andrew Murphy.
6 Oct 1817
Pierre Edouard Desbarats and Edward Pyke acquire the Fief of St. Edouard in the Seigneurie of Jolliet from Jean Thomas Taschereau.
10 Nov 1817
Miles Murphy and his son Patrick purchase an existing farm on the Chaudiere River in the Seigneurie of Ste. Marie from Jean Thomas Taschereau.
1 Oct 1822
James Neville receives a concession for lots #2, 3, 4, and 5 in Concession St. Julie in the Seigneurie of Jolliet and becomes the first Irish resident of the area that would become Ste. Marguerite.
East Frampton is opened to settlement.
Jan 1823 - Apr 1823
Gilbert Henderson purchases numerous relinquishments of entitlements to "wastelands" from original grantees (War of 1812 veterans).
8 Feb 1823
William Henderson issues a contract to build a sawmill on lot 2 of range 8 of Frampton Township.
20 May 1823
First marriage occurs for Frampton residents William Meagher and Mary Murphy.
29 Oct 1823
Timothy Connell is given the first "location ticket" by William Henderson to occupy an East Frampton farm (number 10, lot 4 of range 9) of Frampton Township. James Sheehy was a witness to this and probably received the second "location ticket."
33 residents of Frampton send a petition to the Bishop to request that they be allowed to start a chapel of their own and ask if the Rev. Simon Lawler can visit the township and say the mass in a private residence in the English language. Pierre Edouard Desbarats offers to give the land where the chapel can be built.
Oct / Nov 1825
Land concessions in Frampton Township are made by Edward Pyke before Notaire Jacques Voyer to Charles White, James Scott, Patrick Devereux, Joseph Sutton, Thomas Kell, Miles Duff, Matthew Reid, James Fitzgerald, Martin Murphy, Robert Sample, George Beatty and John Hodgson.
17 Oct 1825
Census of Lower Canada taken. It is the first census for residents of Frampton Township. 35 heads of household are enumerated in Frampton Township; 5 heads of household are enumerated in Ste. Claire (East Frampton); 8 Irish heads of household are enumerated in St. Francois, and 8 Irish heads of household are enumerated in Ste. Marie.
An 1830 article on emigration in the Quebec Gazette reported that the population of Frampton did not exceed 160 persons in 1828.
22 Mar 1828
Pierre Edouard Desbarats leases the grain and sawmills for Frampton to Jean Baptiste Bernard.
1828 to 1830
William Henderson and Gilbert Henderson buy up more entitlements to "waste lands" from original grantees.
Frampton Protestants begin worship services in the home of John Ross.
14 Jun 1829
Edouard Desbarats establishes the first school in the western part of the township. William Wawne, Walter Fitzgerald, John Nicholson, and Andrew Murphy are named as the first school trustees.
Peter Murphy, Andrew Murphy and Walter Fitzgerald were named as marguilliers for St. Edouard de Frampton to assist Edward Brennan
11 Oct 1829
St. Edouard de Frampton parish register begins with the baptism of Catherine Sample, daughter of William Sample and Bridget Mullaly.
14 Nov 1829
Josette Voyer, widow of Pierre Edouard Desbarats leases the grain and sawmill property in Frampton to Alexander Craig.
A petition of 48 former soldiers (commuted pensioners) who served in the Napoleonic Wars request Crown land grants in Cranbourne Township. Many of them will be future residents in Cranbourne Township.
30 Oct 1830
Marguerite Marcoux purchases 18 acres on the northeast corner of the road of Grande Ligne and the Concession of St. Jacques in the Seigneurie of Jolliet from Catherine Crane, widow of James Neville. However the land is directly transferred from Catherine Crane to Fr. Joseph Phillipe Lefrancoise in a document taken before Notaire Charles Edouard Reny. Prior to the construction of the first chapel, services were held in the home of James Neville and Catherine Crane. The new chapel would be called Ste. Marguerite in honor of Marguerite Marcoux.
4 Dec 1830
John Ross donates the southeast ½ of lot 3 in range 3 of Frampton Township for an Anglican church.
9 Dec 1830
Article on emigration in the Quebec Gazette reported that the population of Frampton did not exceed 160 persons in 1828. Yet in 1830 the Frampton population is reported to be at least 900 people. This implies that about 750 people had arrived to settle in Frampton from 1828 to 1830.
Jun - Oct 1831
Census of Lower Canada taken. 178 heads of household were enumerated in Frampton Township, 4 Irish heads of household were enumerated in Ste. Marie, 20 Irish heads of household were enumerated in Ste. Claire (later Ste. Marguerite), and 15 Irish heads of household were enumerated in St. Francois.
Timothy Connell of East Frampton was named as a parish syndic for St. Edouard de Frampton.
Anglican Archdeacon George Jehosophat Mountain makes another visit to Frampton and describes the conditions.
1 Feb 1831
First marriage recorded in the St. Edouard de Frampton parish register, Thomas Glenahan and Margaret Fitzgerald.
9 Feb 1831
William Henderson issues a contract to build a flour mill on lot 3 of range 9 of Frampton Township.
6 Apr 1831
Andrew Murphy received a commission as a Captain of the Militia residing in West Frampton. A Captain of the Militia serves not only in a "military" role but also acts as a constable and ex-officio mayor of the area.
Soldiers who had served in the Napoleonic Wars begin receiving grants of land in Cranbourne Township.
William Henderson buys additional "entitlements" in Frampton Township.
Itinerant Anglican catechist Robert Knight arrives in Frampton. He sides with those Protestants that were opposed to building the Anglican church on the land donated by John Ross.
4 Sep 1832
Josette Voyer, widow of Pierre Edouard Desbarats makes final land sales in Frampton Township to 16 Irish settlers.
26 Oct 1832
Fr. John O'Grady is named as cure of St. Edouard de Frampton.
A request to the Bishop is made by the residents of the Concessions of St. Alexander, St. Edouard, and St. Thomas in the Seigneurie of Jolliet in the new parish of Ste. Marguerite to be annexed to the Parish of St. Edouard de Frampton. The request is signed by M. Connor, S. Connor, J. Fitzpatrick, J. Toole, J. Connor, W. Sample, P. Walsh, and M. St. John. The Bishop approves their request.
9 Feb 1833
Josette Voyer, widow of Pierre Edouard Desbarats: (1) makes final land sales in Frampton Township to Robert Mills, Michael Doran, and Joseph Dempsey; (2) leases the Frampton mill property to Dudley Colclough; and (3) provides "mortgages" to Edward Brennan, Peter Murphy, Andrew Murphy and Kenneth Sutherland.
11 Aug 1834
Cranbourne Township is opened to settlement.
31 Mar 1835
James Voyer makes land concessions to 48 settlers in the "Luce Settlement"
7 Jun 1835
First entry in the Springbrook (Christ Church) Protestant register. It was the baptism of Ann McNeely, daughter of Robert McNeely and Jane Watson. Ten more baptisms are performed that day and two more on the following day.
17 Aug 1835
Gilbert Henderson makes land lease/purchase agreements for land in Frampton Township with Patrick Connolly, Thomas Smith, William Weeks, Patrick Kinsley, Thomas Hall, Timothy Connell, Archibald Smith, Cornelius Lyons, Edmund Ryan, Jr., William Dundon, and Edmund Ryan, Sr.
Aug - Dec 1835
William Henderson makes land lease/purchase agreements for land in Standon and Frampton Townships with George Smith, Joseph Smith, Anthony Comber, Widow Paisley, John Watson, John Kell, William Kell, and George Bagnall.
First mention of Cranbourne residents in the St. Edouard de Frampton parish register, namely John Colgan and Edward Hines.
Frampton Protestants ask the Anglican Bishop to ordain Robert Knight to be the first resident pastor of Frampton. Rev. Knight has Christ Church built on one of his own lots in the fifth range of Frampton Township, commonly known as Springbrook Road.
First land grants to commuted pensioners begins for lands in Cranbourne Township.
1836 - 1840
William Henderson makes land lease/purchase agreements for land in Standon and Frampton Townships with Isaac Holt, William Lanning, Michael Kenny, Edward Anderson, James Gleeson, John Thompson, Henry Joynt, Cornelius Lyons, Robert McAllister, James Hall, Charles Julyan, Michael Rooney, William Dickson, Patrick Rourke, Owen Birds, Robert McNeely, Sr., Robert McNeely, Jr., John McNeely, Michael Butler, and Joseph Humphreys.
Several Irish families leave Frampton. They first go to the area of Simcoe County, Ontario. Then several went on to Holt County, Missouri. The Martin Murphy party proceeded from there to California to be the first wagon train to cross the Sierra Nevada mountains in 1844.
11 May 1841
First mass said in East Frampton by Fr. Dunn in the residence of Timothy Connell. Mass was conducted in the Connell home until 1845 when the first chapel in East Frampton was completed.
4 Oct 1845
The East Frampton chapel is completed on October 4, 1845 and named St. Malachie in honor of the Irish settlers.
29 Oct 1845
The St. Malachie chapel in consecrated.
Bernard Murphy, son of Martin Murphy, returns to Frampton from California in order to transport his sister Johannah Murphy Fitzgerald back to California after the death of her husband. Bernard married Catherine O'Toole. Several families go with the Murphy's to California. This would begin a significant migration to California over the next decade.
First Catholic chapel in Cranbourne is built by John Free under the directions of John Keegan.
17 Sep 1856
The bishop wrote to Fr. Odilon Paradis that he had received his request to consider moving the St. Edouard de Frampton church and that he had also received a counter request. He told Fr. Paradis that it would be better to wait until the parish population was more dense.
50 Frampton residents send a petition to protest the moving the St. Edouard de Frampton church.
First chapel at Cranbourne is finished but burns down in May 1857.
1 Jan 1857
The St. Malachie parish register started. The first entry is the baptism of Margaret Fitzsimmons, daughter of William Fitzsimmons and Helen Brennan.
7 Oct 1857
The bishop issues a decree to change the site of the St. Edouard de Frampton church. Many parishioners in the northern part of the township remained opposed and bar Fr. Paradis from entering the church.
6 Nov 1857
The first burial is made at St. Malachie. It was the burial of Thomas Humphrey, husband of Julia Anderson.
3 Jan 1872
St. Leon de Standon parish register begins. First Irish entry is the burial of Edward Curran, husband of Anastasia Walsh on April 15, 1872.
22 Dec 1873
Canonical decree for the establishment of the Parish of St. Malachie of December 30, 1871 is corrected. The boundaries of the new parish are established.
18 Jul 1874
Ceremony held at St. Malachie for the ordination of Frampton native John O'Farrell as a Catholic priest. John is the son of James O'Farrell and Bridget Clary.
Frampton native, Fr. John O'Farrell becomes cure at St. Edouard de Frampton.
4 Aug 1883
St. Odilon de Cranbourne parish register begins. The first Irish event recorded was the marriage of William Wickens and Martha Helena Cassidy on October 8, 1883.
|Please send suggestions for this site to: Dennis McLane|